Advice Needed

9:55 PM Edit This 5 Comments »
I need some help deciding what to do with this dresser that I am fixing up for a new addition to my room for myself and my new baby to share. I decided on a short, wide dresser so that it can also serve as changing table, it might hold one or two cute baskets on top also. Here are a few pics of some things in my room to get a feel for my space. I should have taken pics of my deep purple sheer window panels and my bed which has a lavender type comforter w/ these plum sateen sheets, but I didn't get to everything.
82126113688G
Some of the photos and art on my wall include these:
3653475918_3bc9d35488_b
3653475584_7720851eb8_m
3652680741_67d11d097c_b
3652680327_da64a1120a_b
This is the desk I just finished. It is really difficult to get decent photos in my room with the lighting, but hopefully it is good enough to see okay. I would have loved to add even more detailing to the painting of the desk, yet I get so anxious and overwhelmed about not doing things perfectly that this was more than enough work and if I stamped or stenciled and it didn't turn out I think I may have had to slit my wrists. The bottom drawer doesn't have the handle on it yet as it is not quite finished (had to be repaired). The main body of desk is purple, pinkish drawers, green details.
3652680435_d550efcb56_bed
I have sanded the main body of the dresser. I have not sanded the in-between, more intricate spots yet. It doesn't have the drawer pulls attached as I believe I'll buy new ones anyway as I don't really like the ones that it came with.
So my questions are....
Should I sand the intricate parts or leave them for extra character?
Should I paint the dresser?
Should I oil stain?
Should I just use tung oil?
If I stain it.....should it be natural, cherry, etc....?
DresserEdit
Please give me advice and opinions so that I can finish these projects. I have been procrastinating as I can't decide what to do or where to begin. Help will be so appreciated!!!!

PS. I apologize about the color of the carpet (I rent)

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I would say treat it like you did your desk, paint it over in the same colors, and can you find more drawer pulls like the ones on your desk? If so, fill in the holes in the dresser drawers and drill a new hole so that the two pieces match more. Don't worry about sanding the grooves, especially if you're going to paint it.

Great job on the desk!

Megan said...

Leave it natural.

Mama Nirvana said...

Karinda, I would keep it natural with a natural stain. We did that to an old dresser (had to strip the paint off), and it has served us so well and for so many purposes.

Amy

Mama Nirvana said...

Karinda, I would keep it natural with a natural stain. We did that to an old dresser (had to strip the paint off), and it has served us so well and for so many purposes.

Amy

Pamela said...

Leave it, add some fun pulls. Should I come over and put a color wheel together for your room? Maybe an inspiration board.... LOL! I FINALLY painted my bedroom.